Swissteam | Western Switzerland release party | feedback

Patrick Murena patrick.murena at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:21:05 BST 2008

Hi all,

Last Saturday took place the first hardy heron release party in Switzerland
(Lausanne | French part of the country). The second will take place next
week in Zürich (German part of the country).

The RP of this week-end was a success, we reached +/- 60 people whereas
30-40 were initially planed.

The presentations were divided in 5 parts: introduction, everyday use (open
office, e-mail, internet, ...), meet a dev (amarok presented by Mark
Kretschmann [0]), sponsor [1] talk (puppet) and fun (compiz and games). Most
people were present at the 3 first parts, we unfortunately lost some off
them during the supper break.

The install fest could have been far more successful. We had 2 installs and
4 configuration problems. That's not enough and we have to focus more on
this next time. I would say that, regarding the amount of people, we should
have had around 20 installs/problems instead of 6.

The party was also cover by the press. An announcement was made on the swiss
national radio [2] (RSR: French swiss radio (yes everything is in German,
French and Italian over here ;) )) and a report of the party [3] was made in
the "24 heures" which is also distributed nation wide. The two last links
are in French and I know that not every body do understand it. So let's say
that both, the broadcast and the article could be resumed as: Ubuntu looks
good is easy to use and is a serious alternative to Window and Mac OsX. The
downside of the press coverage is that the LoCo isn't enough mentioned, even
worse we're presented as the Swiss dev team in the news paper. Nevertheless
I would evaluate both as: good for Ubuntu (which is the most important),
good for the sponsor (which is normal) and bad for the LoCo (which is
unfortunate).

For the next party we should split off the conferences in two parts (newbie
and advanced user talk). And we should focus more on the install and social
part of the event because everybody shows up with questions which we must
answer. So I think less but more focused talks and more free chatting might
be the better bet.

I would like to thank ones more all contributers, all talkers, and our
sponsor Camptocamp SA which offered: the rooms, the sysadmins and the
drinks. You guys all did a great job, THANKS A LOT.

Picks of the event are here [4].

That's it from the Swiss LoCo about his first Ubuntu 8.04 release party. For
any further questions feel free to send them to our mailing list (ubuntu-ch
<Ubuntu-ch at lists.ubuntu.com>).

Cheers
Patrick

[0] http://amarok.kde.org/blog/categories/1-markey