Who Is LoCo?

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Fri Sep 28 23:13:22 BST 2007

Thanks for clarifying that. It sounded like LoCo was to political for me but It sounds like maybe I can get past the polotics. The thing is (and maybe you can explain how to get past this) the PCLinuxOS distribution does not frustrate my customers as much as Ubuntu does because:

1. Ubuntu uses Gnome and the menus are Greek to them. Maybe Kubuntu is the answer?
2. VMWare Server for running Windows XP if necessary will not work in Ubuntu and no one I've talked to has gotten it to work including the LoCo reps.
3. The automatic updates some times cause instability in the system after Kernel updates and several Linux guys I talk to including my instructor agree that updating the Kernel after you get the programs installed is not a good idea. I always seem to have problems doing that.
4. Getting Ubuntu to compile programs to run is more difficult some times than it is in PCLinuxOS.
5. PCLinuxOS seems to run faster on older systems especially when you install the extra specialty Kernels for slower systems from the repo.
6. Once I get it set up for the consumer it does what they want without glitches since it does not update.
7. You say Ubuntu is the most popular. Thats not true any more on the distrowatch.com web site. Check it out. Most people don't know this.
8. Wine just works better in PCLinuxOS don't ask me why.
9. You can install more programs in PCLinuxOS that aren't in the repository than you can in Ubuntu. You have to rely on Ubuntu's Debian packages and if they don't work tough.
10. The control panel in PCLinuxOS makes system changes a snap and you don't have to add a control panel to it. Also the users guide in .pdf form helps people a lot.
11. The update servers are super fast now.
12. The partition structure makes data recovery safer and easier in the case of failure.
13. Just way more Windows like in appearance and functionality but not dependent on pre built Debian packages.
14. I hate to say it but I have had complete idiots install PCLinuxOS by themselves and get it to work flawlessly that had previous experience with Ubuntu and could not get it to work right for them. That shows me it's easier for people.
15. The server functionality in the control panel is much easier to manage for SAMBA and things.

So what is a disadvantage of PCLinuxOS over Ubuntu?
1. Less support but the IRC rooms are good.
2. More hardware support in Ubuntu.
3. Better partition and formating during install.
4. You can't install Debian packages and have to compile most of them if they are not in the repo.
5. They don't come out with new releases as quickly but thats because Ubuntu has most of the developers so it's hard for them to keep up.

As far as SUSE, Xandros, or Linspire go I won't install them because they sold out to Microsoft. Same with openSuse, and freespire. The only thing that concerns me about Ubuntu is it's the same base as Linspire and could incorporate more commercial functions like CNR and Licensing in the future.

Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote: On 28/09/2007, Pomeroy Lab  wrote:
> I have an alternative to what LoCo could be. It's my understanding that to
> be truly LoCo you have to only run Ubuntu and only teach Ubuntu. Thats what
> people keep telling me. They keep telling me this is why I'm not LoCo. This
> is not an open idea at all but rather a closed minded idea.

My team is for advocacy of free software, open formats and the spread
of information of any kind. We use ubuntu as the best tool for the job
because it's the simplest, most well known and easiest so far. And
we've got a much better chance of improving peoples computer
experiences with ubuntu.

Now if someone came to the installfest and wanted to install SuSE I'm
sure someone would help them install it, not me though I've tried too
many times to install SuSE right and I don't find the experience fun.
But that's just me I won't restrict anyone from installing or helping
other people install what ever they want.

Now if someone wanted to put up posters for Mandriva or PCLinuxOS then
we'd need to sit down and talk about direction because ultimately the
team is only powerful when we are all pushing in the same direction
and marketing is one of those things that you fail at if you release
too many marketing messages at once.

It sounds like you've met some real jerks in the past, lets hope no
one is like that in the future.

Best Regards, Martin Owens