Who Is LoCo?

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Fri Sep 28 22:37:57 BST 2007

I have an alternative to what LoCo could be. It's my understanding that to be truly LoCo you have to only run Ubuntu and only teach Ubuntu. Thats what people keep telling me. They keep telling me this is why I'm not LoCo. This is not an open idea at all but rather a closed minded idea.

I believe that LoCo should be a positive open minded community that allows all distros to be taught and also can teach about other subjects like Hardware, repair, programming, and other computer related stuff. If we are to restricted then LoCo will just be a place to learn about Ubuntu and nothing else. Is that what we want? Thats like saying we need to build a school to teach about Math and another for English, and another for Science, and another for Geography but why? I'm very confused as to how this idea of thinking will help you in the long hall. Sure it's nice for Ubuntu if they can dominate all distros and make sure computer manufacturers only sell Ubuntu so that Ubuntu tech supports can be more effective but at the cost of other education? Believe it or not there are things that other Distros can do that Ubuntu can't. You can't force one Distro on everyone. Even the head LoCo guy in WA state could not install the programs I mentioned and get them to work on Ubuntu.
 I had to resort to other Distros for that. I'm not discouraging the Ubuntu project I just think that LoCo should be "OPEN" to other distros like "OPEN SOURCE" "FREEDOM OF CHOICE". These things can't be limited or we are in violation of the GPL's original intent.

I'm talking with LUGs and LoCos around my area about a Linux Fest and advertising all the places you can learn about Linux so people will know where to go not just LUGs or LoCos. The question is if we try to advertise you will you intern play nice and allow LUGs to join your organization or will you be exclusive and exclude everyone else? This will make a big difference in how we approach advertising different places to learn Linux. I await the LoCo community's responce

Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote: > Martin Owens put the time in to do it, and I should be getting my order soon
> (for the Michigan State team).

Thanks for the mention, yes it's a hard project to do and I'm not even
sure on some of the finer points since the CA company sold us the
badges without sales tax thus we may have to file some kind of sales
tax thing later on which really requires an accountant to sort out.

It's not like these things can't be done but we need to expertise to
do them properly, I can offer a guide using what I've learned so far
if the community would like.

Best Regards, Martin Owens