SFD Nicaragua 2007

Leo Gomez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:07:58 BST 2007

Hi all,

The Ubuntu-ni LoCo Team together with the Nicaraguan GNU/Linux Users Group
organized our first Software Freedom Day on September 13th in Managua,
Nicaragua.

Conferences

* The opening conference; "Free educational software" by the youngest
members of the Ubuntu Nicaragua LoCo Team (Sharon Gómez [1] and Elkrin
Mayorga [2], both 12 years old) was one of the highlights of the whole
event. They presented Gcompris and TuxPaint.

* Gerald Lanzas from Ubuntu Nicaragua presented "Linux in the education".
This conference had the participation (via VoIP) of Luis Sepúlveda from the
Edulinux project in Chile.

* Edgar Guzman [3] (16 years old), from Ubuntu Guatemala talked about the
"Linux Terminal Server Project" and presented some thin clients with Ubuntu.

* In the afternoon there were several conferences on programming languages;
Aldo Villagra from Ubuntu Nicaragua with "Ruby on Rails", Celvin Rivas from
Ubuntu El Salvador with "Java" and Edgar Martinez, also from Ubuntu El
Salvador, with "Python". The last conference was presented by Alejandro
Rodriguez, "LDAP + Postfix" from NUI Nicaragua.

* The closing event was an open discussion about technology, particulary the
implementation of free and open source software in Central America.

Other activities

* We had an installfest area, distribution and burning stations, testing
area with some Ubuntu computers, a multimedia area and an infoscreen.

* The first meeting of the Central American Ubuntu LoCo Teams (mini-Ubucon)
was held on the same day with the participation of team members and leaders
from El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua. We talked about the situation of
the Ubuntu teams and the FOSS community in our countries and agreed to
continue to work together in order to grow our communities.

Some numbers:

* +500 people attended the SFD Nicaragua 2007
* +500 Ubuntu flyers were handed out
* 150 Ubuntu CDs
* 20 installs of Ubuntu

We had some media exposure as well [4]

* 4 TV interviews
* 5 articles in local newspapers
* 2 radio interviews
* links and banners in 32 Nicaraguan web sites

Photo gallery (work in progress):

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2007/SFD_Nicaragua_2007

[1]
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2007/SFD%20Nicaragua%202007?webnail=HPIM0064&action=show