Spam on loco lists

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue May 15 21:30:35 BST 2007

Op dinsdag 15-05-2007 om 09:36 uur [tijdzone +1200], schreef Craig Box:
> It's getting to the point where I have to moderate ~10 messages a day
> on the (otherwise rather quite) ubuntu-nz list.  They are all spam,
> showing up as posts from unsubscribed people.  Is SpamAssassin run on
> lists.ubuntu.com?

At least some antispam thing is working, otherwise there would probably
be hundreds or thousands of spam mails a day...   ;-)

> Are other people seeing a similar problem?

I see a couple of spam mails a day on ubuntu-be, but I admin the list in
my own way:

      * I set the list to moderated for everybody not subscribed (and
        even for someone subscribed, but that's another story)
      * I set the moderation queue to expire mails after a number of
        days (and I can temporarily increase this number if I'm away
        from the internet for a longer period)
      * I turned on a setting that mails me the message put in the
        moderation queue and I filter those list-admin messages into
        their own folder
      * when I see a legitimate message (e.g. people mailing from the
        wrong address or an attachment a bit too large) I approve it
      * all other moderated messages expire automaticly, so I don't have
        to do anything about them

This way, even if there would be 50 spam mails / day, it wouldn't take
me more than 1 or 2 minutes / day to deal with the list...  :)

--
Jan Claeys