Jono: Localization of Wiki Entries Discussion

Joey Stanford jjs at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 25 18:55:36 GMT 2007

Jono (et al),

At today's LoCo team meeting the subject of localization of our official
LoCo wiki arose.  I agreed to capture the comments and post them here on
the list for discussion.

There is a recommendation that we should localize some of the more
static pages (e.g. our knowledge base and how-tos) for the benefit of
non-English speaking team as well as for consistency in other
languages.  We know other teams have translated some of our material
already.

The proposal that came up on the meeting today focused on moving our
content into a bzr branch, translating it via rosetta, and then
publishing the various versions on to the wiki.

During the meeting I recommended that we table the discussion and bring
it up here on the list for two reasons: 1) to get your (Jono's) input
and 2) to get the non-English speaking team's input.

There are several benefits but also several issues with this concept and
I think more discussion is needed.

Jono: please provide your perspective to the list on this topic.

Thanks,

Joey