Loco Team Mentor needed for Ubuntu Women's Project

Mirjam Wäckerlin mirjam.waeckerlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 17:44:28 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 2/16/07, ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ் <amachu.techie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we need to seperate women? we in our team indeed have very minimal
> representation of women but still we would like to take steps that will
> ensure women to particiapate much more freely without being considered as a
> different clan from men...

I don't think the idea is to "separate" women. Women can be a part of
Ubuntuwomen and at the same time being members of other teams, too
(where they should be / are treated the same way men are). I see
Ubuntuwomen as a place where women can discuss and reinforce, support,
motivate each other, where they can get advice and mentoring. Often,
women are discouraged (and often even unintentionally!) to participate
in FOSS, and to create a place for them is IMHO a very good idea.
it's not about "separate" women, but rather to create a starting point
for them to get involved in the whole community and to seek advice if
they meet problems.

> One way is to simply motivate fellow women around us to start contributing
> to Ubuntu with us together...

Full ack.

> and make them the integral part of the community..

Some of them already are, and Ubuntuwomen is a good starting point for
those who aren't (yet).

Regards,
Mirjam

--