USA Teams: ubuntu-us discussion

Joey Stanford jjs at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 10 05:16:23 GMT 2007

US Teams:

In a previous email Jono had mentioned that he would prefer the US be
organized like every other country: Master "ubuntu-us" structure with
states hanging off it.

I've been thinking about this for a bit and here is a (not necessarily
correct) proposal for this:

1) Creation of a moderated launchpad "ubuntu-us" team which will
automatically add all the US teams under it (e.g. ubuntu-us-nj,
ubuntu-chicago, etc).  This page will point to a wiki entry as well.

2) Reprovisioning of Christer's #ubuntu-us to be the ubuntu-us channel

3) A wiki entry with the following information:

  Ubuntu US is an organization which is comprised of, and supports all,
US LoCo teams.  The Ubuntu US leadership is council based comprising of
three members.  Council members must be present or past LoCo leaders who
are also full Ubuntu Members. Ubuntu US provides four main functions:
1) Leadership via mentoring of LoCo (ala the USTeams Project), 2)
Creation of a standard US naming and offering convention including
supporting the conversion of existing teams (e.g. Utah and Colorado), 3)
Communication vehicle for all US LoCos,  4) Establishment of US events
(e.g. Conference presences)

4) Creation of a distribution list and forum entry however I doubt
highly these will be well trafficked.

5) Regular irc meetings announced on the Fridge   (Rich or myself can
help there)

For initial leadership I propose  1) Christer Edwards from Utah,  2)
Rich Johnson from Chicago, and 3) someone TBD by a vote.  (and no, I
will not accept that role at this time)

US Teams, please discuss.  Non-US Teams, please comment.   If there is
sufficient agreement with the approach then I recommend the US Teams
hold a special IRC meeting to work out the details.   If there is not
sufficient agreement with the approach then...that's ok too. :-)

Thanks,

Joey