netz.smurf.noris.de may die soon

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Sat Sep 9 07:53:59 BST 2006

Hi,

bad news -- I was in the server room where netz.smurf.noris.de is
hosted, and one of my disks doesn't sound too healthy.

In other words: *Now* would be a good time, for those of you who are
still using it for locoteam hosting, to move off my
system.

There are three alternatives:
- Hosting by ubuntu-eu
  => admin at ubuntu-eu.org
- Hosting by Canonical
  => https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoHosting
- Find your own hosting.

DNS service for loco teams is also affected: it will move to
master.ubuntu-eu.org. Teams will be able to update their zones
dynamically.

Dynamic zone updates depend on a shared secret, which I'll generate per
domain. Everybody who wants to admin their own zone: please send a
GPG-signed email, stating which domain you're responsible for.

If your GPG key is not in the web of Trust yet, *now* would be a very
good time to find somebody to sign it.
If it's not uploaded to the key servers yet, please do so:
	gpg --send-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com <YOUR-KEY-ID>

There are a number of tools available for "real" dynamic DNS (that is,
you use the DNS system itself to update your entries, not a web server);
I have a nice Perl script for doing it. I'll send that to people, along
with The Secret.

Timeframe: I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks, starting
Wednesday evening. (Yes, I know --- the timing sucks.) I'll do the
DNS reorganization as soon as I get back.

If the machine should die, we do have current backups (available
online); the externally-visible DNS service is provided by noris network
<hostmaster at noris.net>, who'll be able to make interim changes.
They'll definitely not accept update requests from random people,
though. ;-)

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de