The "no loco team" bug

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 31 23:45:17 GMT 2006

Hi Joey,

I think I brought this up in Community Council meetings during
Breezy's reign, and it was voted down.  (I also proposed creating
namespaces for locos based on the three letter airport codes, as
they are an international standard.  But again it didn't fly -- pun
intended -- with anyone but me, apparently. C'est la vie.)

This, I believe, was largely due to a different understanding of
the word "Local".  I felt that, at that time, what people were
considering as LoCo's should be called more accurately CoCo's:
Country Communities.  To our group "local" really meant and
continues to mean the possibility of face-to-face interaction.
Surprisingly, also, many said they had no idea what their local
airport code was, and didn't seem to know how to find out -- or
perhaps simply didn't care to.

Although not ideal, as I was hoping for something non-network-
dependent (i.e. a static page on a live CD), I'm wondering if
some AJAX Google map thing might be appropriate...  I've done
a small database-driven Google map thang, that works okay...
And now that Google does its own geocoding, that should be
easier than when I wrote little my beastie.

Reference:
  https://launchpad.net/products/ubuntu-website/+bug/51382
--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

           ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer