LUG coordination

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Oct 15 09:53:40 BST 2006

On Sunday 15 October 2006 05:58, Richard Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The Ubuntu Chicago LoCo has some cool future plans established with our
> LUGs here, and as a matter of fact, I have recently become the
> president/officer of my uni's LUG. We have organized some events where the
> Ubuntu guys will be giving some lightning talks, more along the lines of a
> technical standpoint. Advocating to a LUG is sort of difficult, as most of
> the members already have a certain mindset and a favorite distro. Here in
> Chicago, it seems that Slackware is still a local favorite, however people
> like what Ubuntu is doing. There are some LUGs that call us the newbs of
> the Linux world, and then they get blown away at the knowledge that comes
> from the community.
>
> What I would suggest, is do not try to merge with a LUG, try not to run
> like a LUG, and don't try to merge with a LUG. What you want to do is
> collaborate with them. If they are having a huge event, ask if your group
> could be involved, give presentations (Ubuntu specific, or on some
> technical aspect of OSS in order to make your way into the LUG). Also, what
> I have done is become the main contact point for Ubuntu here in Chicago to
> all of the LUGs, and I have even been supplying them with CDs for events
> such as the one Microsoft and Apple just TRIED to do at the Art Institute,
> but were greeted by Tux and Ubuntu ;)
>
> I have learned that with some LUGs you have to be patient, as some of them
> won't like you because of Ubuntu. I got lucky with the LUG I run and the
> Chicago LUG. They appreciate what we are doing for the Linux community.
> They push the GNU thing a little much. They have RMS coming to an event, or
> planning on it right now, however, I might not be able to give an Ubuntu
> speach as it may make someone mad. ;) Collaborate and integrate for success
> with LUGs. Also, your position might work well with young LUGs as well, and
> could possibly help lift them to the forefront.

It's amazing how some LUGs can differ. This is a wonderful representation of
the diversity of the worldwide free software community. I am from the Sydney
LUG[1], which was formerly a Debian stronghold. In recent years, there has
been a large shift towards Ubuntu in our community. The fact that certain
Ubuntu/Canonical luminaries are part of our LUG may or may not be a
coincidence :)

It is a common occurrence for one distro to take prominence over others in a
community, and there is a responsibility for that community to ensure that
users of other distros do not feel marginalised. We in SLUG are wary of this.
Generally, we do not actively promote a particular distribution over another
to a fellow community member unless there is a valid reason to feel that they
have made an inappropriate choice (e.g. a newbie starting off with
Slackware).

IMHO, it is the job of a LUG to officially remain distribution-agnostic.
Proselytism within a LUG is usually a waste of time. We should be striving to
make the community larger, not fighting amongst ourselves.

[1] http://www.slug.org.au/

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Make sure it [DR DOS] has problems running our software in the future."
			- Bill Gates, 1989