Distribution Point ??

Ezwan Aizat Bin Abdullah Faiz aizat.faiz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 00:42:28 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 23:01 +0100, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Advantages might be:
> - no import taxes anymore
> - more localisations possible
- Quicker accessibility to CDs
- More CDs

> Disadvantages:
> - will cost more to LoCoTeams (unless they have sponsors for this)

Having a local distribution point allows the people in the area to have
quicker and more accessible to the CDs.  A problem I find is, though the
CDs are free (as in beer), after taking 3+ weeks to arrive some of the
parties have completely forgotten that they ordered them and have lost
interest.  Yes they can download the ISO, but not everyone has access to
broadband.

Perhaps the money Canonical saves on distributing the CDs can be instead
used to fund this operation?  Of course it requires proper analysis
first.

Supposing it costs 1000$ to produce and ship 1000 CDs to Malaysia.
Thats 1$ a CD.  In Malaysia with that 1000$ we can ship over 2500+ CDs
at 0.4$ a CD! Once again, that is if Canonical dares to trust us with
their money :).

Regards,
Aizat