Ubuntu CDs through ShipIt

Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Sun May 21 18:27:28 BST 2006

Mario Meyer wrote:

>Jane,
>
>Since you guys are still changing shipit... Some people in Brazil said
>me that they had problems w/ the address field sizes... They say the
>fields are too small for their addressess... Can someone extend these
>sizes??

Unfortunately, no.  We use about a dozen shipping methods/companies
around the world (chosen on a case by case basis depending on the
destination and size/weight of the package).  They all have different
requirements in terms of the length of the address fields and to
accommodate them all we need to go by the strictest one. I know it is
difficult for some addresses, but it is safer for users to abbreviate
their own address to fit into the field lengths rather than us making up
some algorithm to abbreviate the fields (which would inevitably do silly
things to the addresses).

Cheers,
Jane