installation cd's & funding: questions

F. Rodriguez Fabian at FabianRodriguez.com
Sun Dec 24 15:53:40 GMT 2006

Mark Van den Borre wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The Belgian locoteam is facing a challenge. One of the main things we
> do is provide people with an installation cd, a demonstration and
> installation help. It's getting difficult to give everyone who is
> interested a copy, given the circumstances[1].

Hi Mark, all.

I would try a combination of:
1) Asking for volunteer donations: Most people will donate more than the
cost of a CD/DVD.
2) Burning CD-ROMs on site - I would have this handled by the loco team
people only, and would invest in several high-speed burners. Possible
setup a Freedom Toaster ? http://www.freedomtoaster.org/
3) Teaching people how to start a small business selling their own CDs
or use that as an opportunity to get closer to the community/start
another smaller loco team.

For #3, I decided to start a small project on the wiki, which I invite
you to check. Your email triggered its translation this morning :) :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColombianTeam/UbuntuCDsAtHome

I personally have an offer for Ubuntu Colombia's team people, any
comments or copying it welcome:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FabianRodriguez/UbuntuCDsAtHome

Happy holidays,

Fabian Rodriguez