LoCo Resources

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Mon Dec 4 13:02:07 GMT 2006

On Sunday 03 December 2006 13:55, Dave Sullivan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm the team contact for Ubuntu Toronto, which I started in September of
> this year. Since the conception of the team, there have been a few
> suggestions pop up a number of times by various people. These
> suggestions mostly relate to the status/mandate of the team,
> organizational structure, funding, monetary issues, etc.
>
> The idea of registering the team as a non-profit/not-for-profit
> organization has come up again and again. I continue to discourage it,
> as I believe its beyond the scope of a LoCo team. Also mentioned was a
> bank account for the team, to hold funds for events.

I can speak as a member of our LUG for the past 3 years and board member of
several non-profits.  It's a lot of overhead to maintain the organization and
track the funds.  I'm going to encourage the Nebraska Team to avoid it.  Our
local LUG seeks donations on an event by event basis, and that's worked
pretty well for us.

Dave Thacker
Administrator, Nebraska Team