Use of the ubuntu-eu.org name

yann freedoomer at mandragor.org
Sun Apr 2 09:59:44 BST 2006

Lionel Dricot wrote:
> Hello Yann,
>
> Do you think it could, one day, become an Ubuntu european portal ? A
> bit like mozilla-europe ?

We had this idea, mmh, in July 2005:
http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/ubuntu-eu/

The Community Council didn't like the idea of an official Ubuntu-Europe
organisation  affiliated to Canonical. They said canonical was already
based in Europe, and that there was no need for such an organisation at
that time.  Moreover, Canonical now proposes things I wanted Ubuntu-eu
to do: flyers, hosting, Tee shirts, stickers... and i'm really pleased
to see they have heard us ;)

So, I truly respect their decision; ubuntu-eu.org would be used to get
informations concerning the cooperation between the european locoteams,
mainly about hosting, but should in no way replace every locoteam's
portal. And btw, ubuntu-eu would not have any legal existence.

If some day, we have the need of a new organisation affiliated to
Canonical, we may speak about it again ;) But this is not our goal at
this time.

Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr