A forum for locoteam leaders?

Craig Adams craigaa at karg.co.za
Tue Jul 5 02:40:06 CDT 2005

Hi All,

The Firefox campaigns are an excellent example of the user community
functioning extremely well beyond the "official" marketing team. In
contrast, the OpenOffice.org marketing project functions very well
within the "rigid" structure but fails to encourage and exploit any
potential community capability. We would need to find a balance and LoCo
forums may be one tool to do this, especially if we could integrate the
forums to mailing lists as done at ubuntuforums.org.

One thing we will need is to differentiate between the use of public and
private forums. Even though FLOSS projects generally pride themselves in
openness, there is the real need for some operational and strategic
privacy.

As to location of the service, I would go so far as to recommend the
provision of an "official" Ubuntu infrastructure for the purposes of the
LoCo teams, but find a way to incorporate and support any community
initiatives as referred to above.

Kindest Regards

Craig A. Adams