LoCo team website hosting

Matthew East matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Sat Aug 27 14:09:23 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 21:05 +0300, Logiotatidis Giorgos wrote:
> Στις 26-08-2005, ημέρα Παρ, και ώρα 23:32 +0100, ο/η Matthew East
> έγραψε:
> > On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 23:35 +0300, Logiotatidis Giorgos wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 	Greek Loco would like to have about 200Mb disk space. We can't
> > > calculate monthly traffic because we are hosted on smurf, but the site
> > > doesn't have much load.
> > > 	We are already writing pages for our wiki and we are planning to do a
> > > good job distributing ubuntu after breezy release so needs in monthly
> > > traffic (and maybe disk space) are going to be greater in the next
> > > months.
> >
> > Just a quick clarification: as far as I understand it, teams that are
> > currently hosted on smurfix's (Matthias's) server can continue to do so
> > if they wish! I believe this server is fairly powerful so this should be
> > a decent alternative solution to teams which don't have very large
> > loads. It will have the disadvantage that the teams do not have root on
> > the server, but the advantage that they will not have to transfer their
> > files and administrate their own server.
> >
> > Have I got this right? The relationship between the new Canonical
> > servers and the existing solution is a little unclear, but I think that
> > this is right.
>
> According to this message from Mattias (smurf's admin)
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2005-June/000000.html
> loco teams being hosted at his personal server will be transfered to
> linode.com . For this purpose portuguese team got an account @ linode,
> as far as I remember to test the service.
>
> I understand at *all* locos from smurf are going to move either to a
> server @ ubuntu or to a server from a another provider like linode, so
> that's why we should define our needs. Am I wrong, or not?

Yes, the situation is not very clear. The message you link does indeed
say that the server will be moved, however I have confired with him more
recently before he went on holiday that his server will stay where it
is, and will continue to host locoteams. Perhaps the situation has
changed since that previous email. To some extent this process involves
learning slowly which options are suitable!

In any case, the Italian team is happy to continue to stay with
Matthias's hosting at the moment, because now that the german team is
migrating to its own server, it should have more than enough resources!
If the situation changes, then we will be able tor reevaluate.

Matt