No subject

Mon May 11 02:30:56 BST 2009

to be in Chad and my computer can shut down from heat. For this you can
tone down the CPU power (Right click top Panel > Add to Panel > CPU
frequency scaling) if your computer supports it. I'm not sure how you
acquire your used laptops or if you can be picky and try them out, but
if you can. I would prepare a 1h movie and 10GB of files to play and
transfer simultaneoustly. This is what I would test:

1 -Turn on the laptop you are testing and let it sit for 10 minutes.

2 - run the following command (may be different for your CPU but
pressing tab, should auto-complete the different part) and record the
temperature.

example:
komputes at mini:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature
temperature:             47 C

The TZ01 part is the one that will differ from laptop to laptop, but
pressing tab at that part should auto-complete it for you, you just need
to add temperature afterwards and press enter.

-Now copy the 10GB of data and play the movie simultaneously

Repeat the same command (cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature)
and see how hot it gets. The CPU with the least amount of change as well
as the lowest temperature is the one for you.

Have fun and keep in touch!

-komputes