HP Pavilion dv6119us

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 09:13:04 GMT 2007

Hi Jason,
I suggest you boot into Edgy and when your screen goes black, switch
to a virtual console with ctrl-alt-F1 and log in.
1. Copy the files you need for a bug report:
 cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /var/log/Xorg.0.log $HOME/Desktop/
2. Edit your xorg.conf to use the "vesa" driver instead of "nv" in the
"Device" section:
 sudo nano  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
3. Restart X
 sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
Now X should work (but be a little sluggish).
4. Report a bug on
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+filebug
and attach the two files that you copied to the desktop in step (1) !
5. If you need more help, please open a support ticket on
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+addticket

There is also the closed-source driver for Nvidia cards called "nvidia",
it's in the "envy" package (in Universe?), but don't ask me about that.

I have almost no experience with AMD64x2, but I once saw a startup
problem on it and it was solved by adding "nolapic" to the boot
parameters.

Hope this helps,
Tormod