When should ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE be set TRUE?

EmIScA emisca at email.it
Fri Jan 12 08:55:39 GMT 2007

Peter Whittaker ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 15:00 +0100, EmIScA wrote:
>
>> laptop mode is a software that manages power settings of the
>> harddisks....that variable is related to it..
>> see http://packatges.ubuntu.com/laptopmode
>> It is not too used by people because the advantages using it are not
>> too relevant. Try it and choose if use it or not.
>>

> The thing is, I am familiar the intent of the package, and familiar with
> its value. The referenced page - and the rest of my research into this
> setting - does not provide enough information for me to determine
> whether I should activate it or not.
>
> My thinking is this (and bear in mind that one of my professional roles
> is security consultant, so I tend to bring a reasonable paranoia, er,
> doubt, to my thinking):
>
> Laptops can be easily detected using dmidecode (for the most part);
>
> There are distinct advantages to laptop mode (quieter operation, longer
> battery life);

I have done some testing on my two laptops... with laptop mode on, it's
better only if I leave them idle... on normal use there are no
advantages and there is the disadvantage that the disk spins up and down
frequently, and that's no good.
> There are no - or appear not be any - well-documented reasons NOT to use
> this mode (in fact, I can find no reasons at all!);
>
> Therefore, why isn't it enabled by default when a laptop boots?

Because if you like it you enable it on your machine.. it's only a
variable... Perhaps for end users it could be better if it's
configurable graphically (using gnome-power-manager for example).
> My (doubting/paranoid) self responds "Well, there must be a reason! It
> would not be turned off unless someone knew SOMETHING, surely!"
>
> It's the reason I am trying to determine. You write that the advantages
> are slim. I disagree, based on my use of my machine. But I cannot get
> good documentation about the risks or drawbacks of this mode of
> operation.
>
> It is paranoia, performance, or puzzlement (no one knows enough to
> enable it, so it remains disabled? I feel that bug report coming on
> strong....

Could you post some battery benchmarks on normal use, using laptop mode
or not? Perhaps I could be wrong...
> All assistance welcome,
>
> pww

Bye