Fesity laptop (esp ThinkPad) testers required, bug #74875

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:24:46 GMT 2007

Folks, there is a bug in the Herd1 Live/Install CD that affects at least
some ThinkPads; we do not know if it affects all ThinkPads or other
laptops. Testing is required to determine how many ThinkPad models are
affected and whether other hardware is affected.

The bug, in a nutshell: At boot, the LiveCD defaults to VGA (option F4
on the boot screen). If this option is left as-is, then the X session
"goes black" between install steps 4 and 5; if display setting is
changed to 1024x768 at the boot screen, this problem disappears.

Please refer to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/74875 for more
information.

QA note: IMHO, this bug will likely be given Low importance, as it
appears to affect ThinkPads only, right now, and there is a workaround.
Your efforts will help confirm or reject this initial assessment (of
course, I am not a member of UbuntuQA, so I could be wrong...).

What we need:

a) Feisty ThinkPad owners with hardware other than that listed in the
bug report to try the install process with the Herd1 CD and see how far
they get with a1) VGA, a2) 1024x768. You DO NOT need to complete the
install process, just work through the options, until just before the
point of no return. Please try (a1) and (a2) and update the bug report
with your model and your result; it may be useful to attach dmidecode
and lspci output (attach, not inline).

b) Same as in (a), but with the Herd2 CD (due RSN, sometime today).

c) Same as in (a), but with other hardware.

d) Same as in (c), but with the Herd2 CD.

Your qualifications:

1) You have a laptop.

2) You know how to get the Live/Install CD without further instructions
(I mean this for your own safety - if you are unsure what to do, there
is a chance you could hose your system but good).

3) You know where to stop in the Install process (see caution on pt 2)

4) You are familiar with Launchpad and with attaching command output.

5) You have the right blend of perseverance, fortitude, courage, and
wisdom (see caution re hosing but good).

6) A high-speed connection would be nice, it's a big CD.

Thanks folks, your help is appreciated, especially by us ThinkPad
owners.

pww