What is the thinkpad-keys application?

Marvin Raaijmakers marvin.nospam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:55:16 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 20:52 +0200, Mika Fischer wrote:
> Marvin Raaijmakers schrieb:
> > OK. Where can I find (technical) documentation about this program and
> > its source code? I am interested in this because it might be possible to
> > write a quite simulair application that reads ACPI hotkey events and
> > simulates for each event a key press.
>
> Don't know about documentation, but:
> mika at lt-mf:~$ dpkg -S /usr/sbin/thinkpad-keys
> hotkey-setup: /usr/sbin/thinkpad-keys
>
> So you can get the source code by issuing: apt-get source hotkey-setup

OK

> But please note that what you want already exists. Take a look at acpid
> and acpi_fakekey. It is included in the acpi-support package. You may
> also want to take a look at the scripts in /etc/acpi/ to see how it's used.

No it doens't exist yet, because acpi_hotkey is an X CLIENT that
simulates key press events using the XTest extension (or does it by the
XSendEvent function). So this solution will only work when the X server
and the machine running the X clients, run on the same machine.
Acpi_fakekey will neither work when more than two persons are running an
X session, because 1 ACPI event will cause 2 simulated key event (1 for
each user).
So my solution would be that an event device will be created
in /dev/input/ and for each acpi hotkey event, a key press event will be
written to that device. In other words: the X server will be able to use
an InputDevice for the ACPI hotkeys.