unable to install Knot-3 on my laptop...

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:47:06 BST 2006

On 9/17/06, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> that maybe 192mb was true for Dapper and before, but not for the latest
> Edgy.

My laptop has 256 MB - 16 MB video = 240 MB. It used to lock up hard
during installation with Knot-1 and Knot-2. In the end I had to log in
to a "Failsafe Xterm" session, and launch Ubiquity from there, which
worked fine.

Yesterday I installed Knot-3 the normal way, in a Gnome session. It
was slow (also due to my CD drive), but it got through.

> I essentially have a Knot-3 laptop right now (since I have all the daily
> updates), but I cannot actually install that release.  I´m hoping one of
> the daily alternate CD will soon be below that 700mb so that I can try a
> near-Knot-3 install.

You can try copying the contents of the CD iso image to a USB
drive/stick if you have one. There are some issues using the Desktop
CD this way, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomizedInitrd, but the
Alternate CD should be easier to play with. Once it has booted and
starts looking for the CD, you can open a shell and mount the cd-copy
drive manually.

HTH,
Tormod

--
To mail me directly, please include the word "private" in the subject.