help to test laptop

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Sep 3 05:41:30 BST 2006

I accidentally replied directly to you last time. I hope you don't mind
that I brought it back to the list.

Fernan Aguero wrote:
> +----[ Matthew Kuiken <matt.kuiken at verizon.net> (28.Aug.2006 13:21):
> |
> | >	a. how can I capture keycodes so I can better
> | >	describe keys that are not being mapped or are not
> | >	working?
> | >

> | Open a terminal and type 'xev'. It is part of the 'xev' package in case
> | it is not installed by default.
> | While xev is running, any key press will be shown in the terminal window.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion ... but seems like xev only shows
> keypresses for keys that are already mapped ... in my dell
> Fn + Esc is mapped to 'Standby' (in Windows XP), and is
> labeled accordingly ... but in ubuntu it does nothing and it
> is not detected by xev eiter ... whereas Fn + F4 (Numlock)
> works fine and is also detected by xev ...

I should have directed you to this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HotkeyResearch

Anyway, this is probably one of those keys that generates acpi events.
Look at section 3 on the above page.

I'm leaving the rest of the quote so that others can see the thread.

-Matt