acpi-support and wireless

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 23:53:19 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 00:42 +0200, Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> Ok I've submitted a new spec and proposed it for "uds-mtv" meeting (ok
> let's hope it will be discussed)
>
> https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/wireless-framework
>
> please help me in doing some good work!

Why not just fix the drivers in the kernel? For instance, ACPI hotkeys,
which have notoriously been a pain in the a$$ for userspace now is
switching to the input framework so that we get sane userspace events
[1]. This is a good move.

Fix the wireless drivers to properly expose the wireless extensions for
iwconfig[2], or expose them in sysfs if per-device options are required.
See my many posts on per-device power management DBUS methods for HAL.

The LED's also have a new kernel class [3], that more and more stuff
will use, which means that hardware should automatically Do The Right
Thing.

I don't think another abstraction layer is needed, and that's coming
from a HAL programmer. :-)

Richard Hughes.

[1] http://www.gatago.com/linux/kernel/11320074.html
[2] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html