laptop-detect failing at boot

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 11:32:35 BST 2006

Hi,
I think this a problem that hits many people, since I have it on two
very different laptops, a 4 year old Compaq and a 1 year old Acer. It
causes all ends of problems, like troubles with hibernation and the X
setup in the installer:

The script laptop-detect fails to detect a laptop when the script is
early in the boot, since the acpi battery module is not loaded.

This is not obvious to find out, since laptop-detect works nicely once
the machine is fully booted.

I would suggest people that have any trouble with their laptop (and
please others as well, to see if this is as common as I believe) to
check this. For instance by modifying the laptop-detect check in
/etc/init.d/vbesave to something like this:
       if sh -x /usr/sbin/laptop-detect >> /tmp/laptopdetection 2>&1; then
                LAPTOP=true;
        fi
You can also use the attached patch like this:
sudo patch /etc/init.d/vbesave vbesave.debug.patch
(If this list permits attachments, that is.)

If /tmp/laptopdetection shows no battery module, and the scripts bails
out after
"[ -d /proc/acpi/battery ]", please add you comments to bug #40503.

Thanks,
Tormod