thinkpad x60 Battery Life?(CoreDuo freq scaling problem?)

Ari El ari.reads at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 21:19:47 GMT 2006

Well, I could verify that the scaling actually works and makes a difference,
only when the laptop has a significative processor load (otherwise the
difference is not measurable).

As reported elsewhere, I also had some significative power consumption
reduction unloading most subsystems including USB, Wifi, IrDA, etc. This
improves the scenario but still the laptop draws about 9.5 to 10W average
with display set to level 3. I the same conditions winxp draws 7.5 and less,
which means 2.5 hours difference, way too much. And I don't have to turn off
the usb bus.

I tried recompiling Edgy kernel lowering the HZ parameter to 100;
consumption does not seem to be measurably affected; I also tried compiling
a 2.6.18.2 kernel, and this made a difference (about 1W less) however it
broke suspend and ipw3945 support.

After these tests my conclusion is that linux is great for my desktop, I
haven't booted into windows in my desktop for more than a year; but I have
to recognize that linux kernel is *sadly* not optimized for laptop use.
Really the kernel guys did an awesome job at supporting all the thinkpad
hardware, so I hope they will start focusing on power consumption for the
releases to come... Maybe some sort of laptop-optimized kernel profile or
something.

Thanks