linux friendly laptops

Greg Taylor gtaylor at CLEMSON.EDU
Wed May 3 02:56:48 BST 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> The only useful things I've heard are that ATI have opensource drivers - good, and I can see that HP have started selling laptops with linux on. Is that a few extra points for HP?

I would strongly recommend nVidia over ATI if you're wanting to run on a
laptop. The ATI drivers are pretty shoddy in comparison to nVidia's
Linux drivers and you're a lot more likely to be able to run things like
Compiz/XGL at this point. There is also a lot more documentation around
the net for Linux + nVidia because they have been traditionally more
compatible cards.

Take it as a grain of salt, but that's my opinion :)