filling in the form for my Compaq Evo N150

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Mar 12 02:38:54 GMT 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:17:42PM -0500, metatux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> >I need some pointers filling in these bits:
> >
> >* How do I know what the correct refresh rate is?
>
> the refreshrate of your Display. (cat /etc/fstab)

No, this is untrue. xrandr should tell you your current refresh rate -
on laptops, this is basically uninteresting. /etc/fstab has nothing to
do with it.

> >* How do I know if 3D Acceleration is/should be working?
>
> In most cases you'll need to install drivers of the manufacturer like
> ATI o NVIDIA.

Also untrue. If you have an nvidia card, you need binary drivers to
support 3D. If you have anything else, then 3D should work with a plain
Dapper install unless you have certain ATI cards, your card doesn't
support 3D at all or it's fairly rare and nobody has written 3D drivers
for it.

> >* What is 'Cpu frequency scaling' and how do I know if my laptop
> >supports it?
>
> Depends of your CPU

Does your CPU speed up and slow down depending on how heavily it's used?
if powernowd is running, then it's supported.

> >* There are some special keys on the Compaq EvoN150 - how should I fill
> >in the info for them? (None of them work)
>
> Same as with my EVO N610c. I think that the Fn-keys don't work on any
> Compaq-EVO Laptop. But not only with Ubuntu. I've testet with a lot of
> Distris and the keys don't work. :-(((

Have you filed a bug?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org