Bad luck with Toshibas?

Mikael Gustafsson mikael.gustafsson at stonecracker.info
Sat Jun 10 00:46:56 BST 2006

(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/27778)

(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hotkey-setup/+bug/20727)

(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/20964)

 >Our local Linux User Group saw quite a few Toshibas during the last
 >installfest of the semester, most of these experienced at least one of
 >these problems. Some laptops were uninstallable, which is the category
 >the Tecra A4 falls under.
 >
 >The first and third entry in this list are the most critical, as they
 >prevent me from doing much of anything. I can't get dmesg output to the
 >bug tracker aside from typing it out manually due to the USB problem. I
 >can't grab updated drivers via USB or Ethernet either, so my laptop is
 >essentially cut off from all outside contact :)
 >
 >In any case, are these problems some of you other Toshiba testers are
 >seeing? It seems like there are a lot of problems with ACPI on the Tecra
 >that cause other problems.

The only thing on the Tecra S1 that aint working is the FN(Special)
keys.(Haven't tested the SD card reader yet though.)
The reason to that is that the S1 uses the Phoenix bios wich doesn't
work with fnfx (http://fnfx.sourceforge.net) wich is included as an
module in the kernel.

The A4 isn't tested with fnfx(according to their
homepage(http://fnfx.sourceforge.net/index.php?section=doc section 3.2
and section 3.3). But generally, if it got an phoenix bios there's no
fix to it at the moment.

To get the dim/lighten up (fn+f6/f7) to work there's an little program
that fixes that. It can be found at: http://tz.exit0.net/tecras1.html

Dear regards,
Mikael Gustafsson