splitting LaptopTestingTeam by Make

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 07:45:53 BST 2006

On 7/27/06, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> I've repainted the bullseye, you only sent his to me!!
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 15:29 -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:
> > LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops  would be the main container.
> > e.g.
> >
> > ** Manufacturers **
> >  * Dell
> >  * HP
> >  * ...
> >  * Miscellaneous/All Others
> >
> > Each item in the list links to a manufacturer page. e.g.
> > LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops/Dell/
> > That page has links to each model on a big table or list.
> That's what I've started doing, just as you describe, but I've called
> the main page LaptopTestingTeam/Makes.
>
> But for now I thought I'd concentrate on the reorganisation instead of
> arguing to move LaptopTestingTeam to LaptopTestingTeam/Makes. That
> discussion can be had later.
>

> > e.g. /LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops/Dell/Inspiron9000
> This is where I agree with you but suggest we just do the
> reorganisation, to move all the existing pages would create some
> problems. What I've started gives us
>
> /LaptopTestingTeam/Dell
> which lists and links to all the dells, eg it links to
> /LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron9000
>
> Not an ideal solution but good enough for now I think, I'd like to see
> future, or updated reports moved into this structure.
>
> > Main Page with Manufacturers
> >  - Unique Page for each Manufacture which lists ALL models and info,
> > heavily using a TOC entry
> >
> > This would take the 544 pages down to 1 master page and maybe 20
> > different manufacturer pagers. ...so 21 vs 544.  This REALLY makes it
> > easier to maintain by cutting down the shear volume. This rather
> > outmodes the testing template so more thought would be needed here.
> How does it affect the Testing template?
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 20:54 -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:
>
> > Organizationally, it's easier to find things manually.  I know a lot of
> > the folks around here locally that I help don't use the wiki search but
> > rather use the click-thru approach.
> >
> > However, the more I think about it, the more I like my 2nd idea of
> > reconfiguring the Laptop Testing Team main page.
> Do you mean change it to look like the temporary page I've been working
> on LaptopTestingTeam/Makes ?
>
> > Suggested:
> >
> > ** Dell **
> >  * Model 1
> >  * Model 2 | tested by Canonical = Y
> >  * etc
> >
> > ** HP **
> >  * Model 1
> >  * Model 2 | tested by Canonical = Y
> >  * etc
> >
> > And then add a TOC to navigate it.
> I've added one into the next template: LaptopTestingTeamTemplateNext
>
> > This prevents any changes to links,
> > makes it navigable for users who don't use search or know about
> > control-F (lots of those) and generally will clean up the formating on
> > the page.
> I absolutely agree that LaptopTestingTeam has the potential to become
> [...]

We are very explicitly not another support forum. I doubt this is
going to change very much in the near future.

I like the idea of linking by scripts, just not moving pages. Feel
free to go ahead and do that. As for a testing form-ng, please go
ahead and work on that as well. Just be careful about how much you add
to it.

Cheers,

Corey