splitting LaptopTestingTeam by Make

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Thu Jul 27 09:51:47 BST 2006

I've repainted the bullseye, you only sent his to me!!

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 15:29 -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:
> LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops  would be the main container.
> e.g.
>
> ** Manufacturers **
>  * Dell
>  * HP
>  * ...
>  * Miscellaneous/All Others
>
> Each item in the list links to a manufacturer page. e.g.
> LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops/Dell/
> That page has links to each model on a big table or list.
That's what I've started doing, just as you describe, but I've called
the main page LaptopTestingTeam/Makes.

But for now I thought I'd concentrate on the reorganisation instead of
arguing to move LaptopTestingTeam to LaptopTestingTeam/Makes. That
discussion can be had later.

> e.g. /LaptopTestingTeam/Laptops/Dell/Inspiron9000
This is where I agree with you but suggest we just do the
reorganisation, to move all the existing pages would create some
problems. What I've started gives us

/LaptopTestingTeam/Dell
which lists and links to all the dells, eg it links to
/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron9000

Not an ideal solution but good enough for now I think, I'd like to see
future, or updated reports moved into this structure.

> Main Page with Manufacturers
>  - Unique Page for each Manufacture which lists ALL models and info,
> heavily using a TOC entry
>
> This would take the 544 pages down to 1 master page and maybe 20
> different manufacturer pagers. ...so 21 vs 544.  This REALLY makes it
> easier to maintain by cutting down the shear volume. This rather
> outmodes the testing template so more thought would be needed here.
How does it affect the Testing template?

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 20:54 -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:

> Organizationally, it's easier to find things manually.  I know a lot of
> the folks around here locally that I help don't use the wiki search but
> rather use the click-thru approach.
>
> However, the more I think about it, the more I like my 2nd idea of
> reconfiguring the Laptop Testing Team main page.
Do you mean change it to look like the temporary page I've been working
on LaptopTestingTeam/Makes ?

> Suggested:
>
> ** Dell **
>  * Model 1
>  * Model 2 | tested by Canonical = Y
>  * etc
>
> ** HP **
>  * Model 1
>  * Model 2 | tested by Canonical = Y
>  * etc
>
> And then add a TOC to navigate it.
I've added one into the next template: LaptopTestingTeamTemplateNext

> This prevents any changes to links,
> makes it navigable for users who don't use search or know about
> control-F (lots of those) and generally will clean up the formating on
> the page.
I absolutely agree that LaptopTestingTeam has the potential to become
LaptopSupportTeam, a place where anyone can find help for their laptop.
But at the moment it's a nerd's playground.

> Ok, bullseye painted. Open fire.
;-)

Duncan
--