Problems with Toshiba Stellite A70 and Kubuntu

Luka Renko 74.luka at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 23:15:36 BST 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 23:52, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Based on my discussion of the need for Kubuntu based laptop testing and the
> understanding that Kubuntu does something differently, I am wondering if I
> should be directing this to a different group.

I think this is still the right place. With Edgy, hopefully Kubuntu will be
more a-like Ubuntu anyhow in regards to laptop keys (see [1]).

> I have recently been given a Toshiba Satellite A70 from work and booted the
> desktop cd of 6.06 on it.  The three functions keys that worked correctly
> were F6 and F7 for darkness and brightness of the monitor and f11 for the
> number lock.

I suspect this are HW keys and are controlled by BIOS or so - kernel does not
get keypress event and therefore cannot handle it. At least this is what I
have on HP nw8240 where Screen switch, brightness up/down/auto are
implemented by HW.

> How would I go about resolving it so the rest of the function keys would
> work correctly?

The rest of the function keys will be resolved according to
KubuntuLaptopButtons specification [1] - with proper keycode -> keysym
mapping and proper default action setup out-of-the-box on Kubuntu.

You (and other Kubuntu Dapper/Edgy laptop users) can also help fill up this
table [2].

Regards,
Luka

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuLaptopButtons