Frequency scaling support working out of the box

Celso Pinto cpinto at yimports.com
Tue Jan 31 23:21:34 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

I've poked around with the source for the gnome-applets and powernowd
packages and I think I managed to find out why the CPUFreq applet
doesn't work without the powernowd being executed during the laptop
startup: the powernowd init script loads the modules needed to enable
frequency scaling (now I understand I didn't really need the source
packages :-) ).

So I've made a copy of the powernowd's init script and kept only the
parts that detect if the CPU supports frequency scaling and that loads
the needed modules. I've tested it and after running the script the
applet no longer complaints that the hardware doesn't support frequency
scaling and I'm able to pick a frequency and make it stick.

I'm attaching the script to this email. The thing I'm interested in
knowing is, if it is possible to include this (or something similar) on
the distribution so that using the CPU-Frequency applet works out of the
box without needing to manually tweak the system like changing
the /etc/modules file.

Cheers,
Celso

[1]