testing flight 4 on Laitude D810

Giuseppe Bilotta bilotta78 at hotpop.com
Tue Feb 28 18:01:24 GMT 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:37:38 -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Fn+End should mute, but doesn't work
> Fn+Up increases the brightness which works correctly
> Fn+Down decreases the brightness which works correctly

Support for these keys in X is obtained with the "inspiron" keyboard
model (at least on Inspirons, but Latitudes should work just the
same).

However, this won't suffice with kernel 2.6 (it does work with kernel
2.4), due to the new input model which doesn't by default map some
scancodes to anything useful. I solved this by creating a fix_keys
file in my /etc/init.d directory, with the lines

setkeycodes e001 171
setkeycodes e002 172
setkeycodes e003 187
setkeycodes e004 189

and symlinking it from /etc/rcS.d

(I'm running a standard Debian, not Kubuntu.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
nor safety." Benjamin Franklin