testing flight 4 on Laitude D810

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Tue Feb 28 12:37:38 GMT 2006

My old work laptop had a problem with its motherboard which necessitated me
getting a new laptop, which is now a Latitude D810.  I recently installed
Kubuntu Dapper Flight 4 and have noticed a vast improvement in the
functionality of Kubuntu.  However I still have some issues and visited the
Latitude D810 wiki page to see what other, if any, problems people were
having and I am finding that Ubuntu and Kubuntu differ somewhat in how they
handle the different function keys, etc.

First off, upon closing the lid my laptop now suspends which is a great
improvement.  I could never get it to work correctly on Dell Inspiron 5150
even while using Dapper.

Secondly I still have some issue with the different function keys.

Fn + Esc is Standby -- functions correctly
Fn + F1 is Hiberante -- Doesn't work
Fn + F2 should turn off the wireless card, but turns off KBluetoothD and the
bluetooth indicator goes out
Fn+F3 is for the battery and works correctly
Fn+Num Lk should turn on/off the scroll lock but does not work.
Fn+Page Up should turn up the sound, doesn't work
Fn+Page Dn should turn the sound down, doesn't work
Fn+End should mute, but doesn't work
Fn+Up increases the brightness which works correctly
Fn+Down decreases the brightness which works correctly

I have also noticed that the mouse speed of the touchpad is extremly slow
compared to the trackpoint.

I looked into updating the wiki page but the author of the page asked him to
be contacted but his email bounced for me.

I was also wondering how much of the testing for the laptop team occurs on
Kubuntu?