very loud beeper of the ThinkPad X41 Tablet

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Mon Feb 6 11:20:54 GMT 2006

Matthew Garrett:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:37:49AM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>> ALSA’s Master and PCM sliders don’t seem to affect the beeper volume
>> at all, but I can’t make their volume loud enough to overcome the
>> beeper (and then lower the hardware mixer to acceptable level). :o|

> Indeed. I haven't found a way to make the
> Thinkpad beeper any quieter than that.

The interesting part is that, IIRC, on my old R31 one of Master and PCM
covered both beeper and ‘general audio’, while the other managed only
the ‘general audio’, so I could set the two in a way that would put the
relative volumes to a sane proportions.

On X41 Tablet, the only way to affect beeper
volume seems to be through the hardware mixer. :o|

-- Shot