Testing Dapper on a Dell Inspiron 9400

Alex Gontmakher gsasha at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 12:33:14 BST 2006

I'm using it since Flight 5, and the machine is gradually coming up to
life :)

I didn't try installing from scratch since, I'm just apt-get update'ing.

The current status:

Graphics:
----------------
Correct NVidia drivers are installed by default, 3D works beautifully.
I'm having trouble, however, configuring the external display output.

Sound:
------------
With latest updates appears to work, although sound still occasionally
disappears and requires a reboot. Also, playback with mplayer and the
default sound system (Alsa) still skips like mad (esd works fine).

Network:
---------------
The wired network is fine, the wireless drivers still not there.
According to the traffic at launchpad, they should be OK in the near days.

Bluetooth:
------------------
That's a huge OUCH. The laptop has Bluetooth support, but it's not
discovered at all. I have no clue about what to do with this one.

Suspend/Hibernation/ACPI:
-------------------------------------
Didn't try hibernation, but suspend works beautifully (I had to enable
it in the KDE control panel). I also turned on the low-power mode for
battery-only operation, but didn't yet test if that improves the battery
time.

SD slot:
-------------
Last I checked, inserting an SD card into the slot caused the machine to
lock up completely. The bug report is somewhere on the launchpad.

Special laptop buttons:
The laptop has a row of multimedia buttons (volume, play/stop), which
are currently ignored. I once stumbled at a program that recognizes
these buttons and even provides an OSD for them, but I forgot it's name
and don't have time to hunt for it again. I think it should be
automatically enabled for all the laptops (and probably even for other
multimedia keyboards), and included in the machine startup.

Conclusion: