Dapper installation report: success with minor glitches (HP NX9010)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sat Apr 29 22:07:15 BST 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:

Hello Otto,

> * module 'yenta-socket' was not autoloaded - it should be. Adding it
> to /etc/modules activated my PCMCIA and brought up my WLAN.

Could you please file a bug against 'udev':

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/udev/+filebug

along with the output from:

  $ lspci
  $ lspci -n

(to get the PCI-ID of the Cardbus/PCMCIA controller and check that it is a
known number).

> * PCMCIA-cs is depricated according to kernel documentation. Shouldn't Ubuntu
> start using the newer 'pcmciautils' system instead..?

Currently (in Dapper), 'pcmciautils' is used:

  $ apt-cache rdepends pcmciautils
  pcmciautils
  Reverse Depends:
    ubuntu-minimal

> * Why isn't package 'smartmontools' installed by default? It works on all
> modern laptops, I belive.

There's not enough room on the CD for everything everyone would
like;  luckily that's not a problem it's only an:

  $ sudo apt-get install smartmontools

away, for you!

> * The default behaviour for screen savers is 'random'. I think it should be
> replaced with simply a energy saving mode, like screen shutdown.

Could you file a bug if you're having issues and can track them down:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+filebug

(or against 'xscreensaver' or the KDE equivalent if you use those).

> ** Only on Kubuntu **
> * ACPI-contolling must be activated manually from the Control Center.

Can you file a bug at:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/klaptopdaemon/+filebug

> If you log in to Gnome from KDM, the logout-window of Gnome neither
> gives options sleep/hibernate anymore (need to log in from GDM

Can you report this aswell please:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+filebug

Many Thanks,

	-Paul
--
High on a Spanish mountain, surrounded by howling dogs.  Lyon, FR