suspend to ram for a long time

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 3 01:40:44 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 15:08 -0600, Michael F. Rimbert wrote:
> I too have discovered that resuming from suspend-to-ram does not work
> after long periods of time.  On the Toshiba Tecra A2, resuming works as
> expected for short periods of time, but I cannot resume if I leave the
> machine suspended overnight.  I get a black screen, and occasionally see
> the watch (or wait) mouse cursor, but am unable to return to X.
> Further, I cannot switch to a virtual console, and rebooting appears to
> be the only remedy.

Ah, this is not as bad as mine, gnome just crashes :)

Anyhow, on mjg's suggestion I edited /etc/default/acpi-support to make
"POST_VIDEO" false, and tested overnight. this made it worse sadly, now
it just resumes to a black screen, and I have to reboot, rather than at
least getting a crashed gnome and being able to restart gdm.

Matt