Power consumption out of box

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 23:51:48 BST 2007

Phoronix had an article recently on measuring Ubuntu power
consumption.  It's general conclusion is that 2007 has been a bad year
for battery lifetime, with feisty and gutsy both having large jumps in
power consumption out of box.  You can find the article at
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=878

I think having these sorts of tests is a great resource, but we might
want to ensure that the tests are  valid and accurate before acting on
them. With that in mind, a few discussion questions:

* Have you noticed a similiar pattern to Phoronix's results?
* Is measuring /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state a good way to obtain
reliable numbers between Ubuntu versions? What about the SeaSonic
PowerAngel?
* Do glxgears and CPU Burn-In represent valid load tests?
* Should we be concerned that 5.10 represents the lowest power draw
from the kernel?

Phoronix mentioned the possiblity of futher testing -- if they did,
what sort of information would you find relevant for improving Ubuntu
out of the box?  Personally, I'd find a listing of running daemons or
powertop (on available platforms) helpful in identifying sources of
power drain.

I've noticed in all their desktop screenshots, the update-manager was
prompting for updates. I don't know of any updates regarded to improve
power usage, but I think later versions will download and unpack,
potentially adding a long set of updates to download and unpack in the
background.

I've also noticed their screenshot of 6.10 claimed to have wired
ethernet and a strong AP signal.  Would a different network setup
affect power consumption between Ubuntu versions?

Justin Dugger