Organizational structure

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jan 6 16:40:19 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:28:54AM -0500, Dave Neil wrote:
> Matthew is the Ubuntu lead for the laptop project. We have some
> volunteers from the DCCA who will be helping out with this project.
> There are many tasks that make up the laptop project. One of these that
> we are addressing first off is the key binding task. The goal of this
> task is to map out the various extra keys (email, web, etc) that laptops
> have.  Neil Hooey from Xandros, and Matthew, will sort out how they want
> to store the data that volunteers will be sending in. When they have put
> together the reporting and logging system they'll let us know the
> details. Matthew could you post up your recommended key binding
> collection methods here and or on the reporting site?

Will do. Just as a pointer, the keycodes that we'll be aiming for
compatibility with are the ones documented in /usr/include/linux/input.h
.

Neil, I'm afraid I'm a bit short of time to knock together a site now,
but basically we want to collect the following information:

1) What sort of event is generated (keycode, acpi event)
2) Whether a special driver is needed (sony_pcc, asus_acpi, ibm_acpi,
panasonic_acpi, tosh_acpi, wistron_btns)
3) What event is generated for each key
4) The dmidecode vendor and product names

By and large this should be a per-manufacturer thing rather than a
per-model thing, but there may well be one or two exceptions.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org