Kubuntu 24.94 LTS released. Not possible yet to upgrade from 22.04?

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:54:26 UTC 2024

 Hello Nils and others.

Thanks for replying this question.....

https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-24-04-lts-noble-numbat-released/

Both yesterday late evening and this afternoon, Friday 26 April 2024, I
have been trying to upgrade from my current Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS (Jammy)
configuration at my Lenovo X230. use

Is there anything else I can do except patiently waiting and trying from
time to time again?

A part of your reply reads like this...

You can only wait.
From
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2024-April/000301.html>
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2024-April/000301.html>:

| Users of Ubuntu 23.10 will soon be offered an automatic upgrade to 24.04.
| Users of 22.04 LTS will be offered the automatic upgrade when 24.04.1
| LTS is released, which is scheduled for the 15th of August.

15 August 2024 is way too late for me. It's in the middle of my holiday
time. Moreover, I got stuck in a many difficulties that could not be
resolved any more. That's why, I finally decided to carry out a fresh
installation of Kubuntu 24.04 LTS. I do manage to get this configuration
running, however, with some trial, error and bug reporting - about this I
get back in another post.

Additionally, you answer....

Other than that you can try

do-release-upgrade -d

but I haven't tried that now that 24.04 is released.

My attempt to work with this command, delivered the following result:

«(...)

bas at Camino:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
There is no development version of an LTS available.
To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release
set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
bas at Camino:~$

(...)»

I also tried to act according to a suggestion that came up in the terminal:

«(...)

To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release
set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.

(...)»

I managed to edit that file. Like that, I hoped to be able to upgrade to
Kubuntu 23.10 at that point.

After a restart, a «Plasma Workspace» prompt told me that an upgrade is
available to «Ubuntu on 23.10.»

I first carry out an update check...

«(...)

bas at Camino:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

(...)

(...)»

Then, I stayed on the terminal...

«(...)

bas at Camino:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Checking for a new Ubuntu release
Upgrades to the development release are only
available from the latest supported release.
(...)»

No result.

I tried something different:

«(...)

bas at Camino:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop

(....)»

It did not work out. Many complications came up. More about them I have
shared in this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/2063952

Have a pleasant evening.

Yours.

Bas.

--

====
Bas G. Roufs MA
BasRoufs at gmail.com

Mook ligt ca. 10 km. ten zuiden van Nijmegen en 10 km. ten oosten van de
Duitse grens.

Mook is about 10 km. south of Nijmegen and 10 km west of the German border.