Fruitless installation attempts: "Back in Time" backup program at Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Bastiaan Gijsbertus Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:46:24 UTC 2022

Hello Everybody.

I am trying to get started with the "Simple backup"  program "Back in
Time" at Kubuntu 22.04 LTS. However, so far, I have complications.

On one hand, I DO manage to install.....

"backintime-common" via the terminal....;

"Back in Time Helper" via "Discover". This is a KDE5 graphical front end
for Back in Time.

So far, I did manage to find any way to launch "Back in Time Helper". I
cannot find it via K-Menu - also not via Discover, Synaptic, Muon,
Terminal or Dolphin.

At Discover I see two versions of "Back in Time":  a root version or a
"normal"

When trying to install either versionr, I get the following feedback:

Dependency resolution failed;

Too few items to process.

When trying to install via "Synaptic package manager", I get the
following feedback.....

backintime-qt4:
Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!

At Muon package manager, I get the following feedback....

The "backintime-qt4" package could not be marked for installation or
upgrade:
     Depends: backintime-qt4, but it is not installable

 From terminal.......

bas at Viaconsensus-iter:~$ sudo apt-get install  backintime-qt4
[sudo] password for bas:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
backintime-qt : Depends: libnotify-bin but it is not installable

I did try to install "libnotify-bin", however, this did not deliver any
result.

bas at Viaconsensus-iter:~$ sudo apt-get install libnotify-bin
[sudo] password for bas:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package libnotify-bin is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libnotify-bin' has no installation candidate
bas at Viaconsensus-iter:~$

Can anybody provide me with ideas that help to get "Back in Time"
installed at Kubuntu 22.04 LTS?

Yours.

Bas.

--