dual boot ?

Dave Nelson (dave@dalek.zone) dave at dalek.zone
Wed May 20 23:10:51 UTC 2020

In any case, although having one of the operating systems as a virtual
machine, using VirtualBox for instance, is possible and does work, you
get a performance hit with the guest operating system (the one in the
virtual machine). Dual booting lets you get the best performance out of
both operating systems.

---
All the best,

Dave

On 2020-05-21 02:01, Bob wrote:
> is an older computer so it only has room for one drive, hopefully
> getting a new larger drive to fit the slot.
>   person using computer is not likely to be able to use a virtual
> drive want to keep it simple for them.
>
> thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected was the route to
> follow.
>
> thanks
> Bob
>

> On Thu, 21 May 2020, Dave Nelson (dave at dalek.zone) wrote:
>
>> Are you partitioning for Windows and Linux on the same drive, or
>> Windows on one drive and Linux on the other? In any case, you need to
>> install Windows first, as you said. If you want both operating systems
>> on the same drive, then you want to partition the drive before
>> installing Windows, because Windows will simply suggest using the
>> entire drive. Only Ubuntu/Kubuntu gives you the ability to partition
>> any way you want.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> ---
>> All the best,
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 2020-05-21 00:34, Bob wrote:
>>> been a while since I helped someone set up a computer to dual boot.
>>>
>>> brain is having a hard disk seek error
>>>

>>> I have partition magic (8.0)
>>> and Kubuntu 18.4 (which is what they want)
>>>
>>> they have their windoze disk.
>>>
>>> I know windoze has to go on first but is that before or after
>>> partitioning??
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Bob