Installation alongside Windows 10 Home Edition

Christopher Patti feoh at feoh.org
Sun Jan 6 21:34:17 UTC 2019

It may be easier to use a separate HD, but I have Linux installed on my
UEFI Alienware 17 R5 along side Windows 10 on my internal SSD and it
works great.
You have to create a special boot partition, and it was in fact kind of
a pain, but it's possible once you understand it.
Reading the OPs original question though, given that what they want is
to give their friend a chance to see Linux in operation alongside
Windows without doing anything destructive, I'd agree with others that
the best choice here is simply to install VirtualBox into windows 10 and
get Linux running that way.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, at 5:36 AM, Robert Charbonneau wrote:
> From what I understand about Windows 10, if it is installed in UEFI
> mode then you need a second HDD to install to.  UEFI OS installations
> have to live on their own disk.  If you're in legacy boot mode you'll
> have other options.>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Ingolf Steinbach
> <ingolf.steinbach at gmail.com> wrote:>> Hi,
>>
>>  I am currently attempting to install Kubuntu 18.04.1 on a HP
>>  Pavilion 15-cr0001ng notebook which came preinstalled with Windows
>>  10 Home Edition. In preparation, I shrunk the C: drive to get some
>>  400GB of free storage on the (single) HDD. I then booted the Kubuntu
>>  18.04.1 DVD (via an external drive) downloaded from
>>  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/18.04/release/kubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso>>
>> Unfortunately, the only options the installer offers are to use the
>> entire disk (which I definitively do not want) or to do some manual
>> "juggling" (which I'd like to avoid), see
>> 01_installation_type.png[1].>>
>> Both the "Installation type" and the "Prepare partitions" steps
>> clearly show the Windows installation and also the free space
>> intended for the Kubuntu installation (see also
>> 02_prepare_partitions.png[2]); yet, there is no option to install
>> Kubuntu alongside the Windows installation (without having to resort
>> to manual modification of partitions.>>
>> I also selected "Try Kubuntu" first, followed by an upgrade of
>> packages via WiFi (hoping that maybe also the installer would be
>> updated to a newer version). Without effect.>>
>> Is automatic installation alongside Windows really not supported? Did
>> I miss something?>>
>> See attachments for the output of parted and efibootmgr.
>>

>> Two additional questions:
>>  1. Is it possible to either install solely to the spare partition
>>     (without *installing* grub but booting grub from the DVD and from
>>     there starting the HDD based Kubuntu) or to remove grub later on
>>     (if I should decide to revert to a Windows-only notebook)?
>>  2. The live DVD did not detect the built-in WiFi (I had to use one
>>     connected via USB instead) which is a RealTek RTL8821CE
>>     [10ec:c821] (see attached lspci.txt). Is this expected?>> Thanks in advance for your support.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Ingolf
>> --

Links: