Lets Drop Old Monitors

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Jul 17 19:34:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Bill Vance wrote:

>>       the DPI setting changes not just the font size, but also the
>>       graphics sizes, at least for all apps that pay attention to this.
>
> Which, unfortunately, is no guarentee that they'll do a good job
> of it, which is one of the main reasons I'm lobbying for making
> individual adjustments to text, and symbol sizes.

you do realize that if the application is reserving space for a piece of
graphics, changing that size without the application knowing about it isn't
goign to end up working well, right?

you can't solve the problem at the global level, you have to force the
application writers to 'do the right thing'

Windows does this because they only allow you one way to do things, and if you
do it differently, it will break on the next windows update (and it may anyway)

On Linux, there are many ways to do things, and you can't force the application
writers to do the right thing.

David Lang