Lets Drop Old Monitors

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Jul 16 19:40:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, Bill Vance wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018, David Lang wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018, Bmarsh wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is with the newer video monitors and laptops.  A year ago, I
>>> bought a Lenovo laptop with a UHD monitor.  ( 3840x2160 or thereabouts).
>>> Darn near impossible to install Linux and even after a LOT of tweaking,
>>> the fonts and viewing isn’t ideal.
>>>
>>> I keep a magnifying glass handy whenever I am using it.
>>
>> have you tried changing the DPI setting?
>
> That is one of two methods of changing font sizes in system
> settings.  Neither of them is anywhere close to working
> perfectly.

the DPI setting changes not just the font size, but also the graphics sizes, at
least for all apps that pay attention to this.

There really isn't a good way to override what the app does if it's not well
behaved.

remember you need to logout after changing the DPI for it to work.

I recently replaced by 1080 HD monitor with a 4K monitor the same size, and I've
had a laptop with a 4k screen, so I've had to deal with this and with kubuntu,
the DPI setting fixed pretty much everything.

David Lang