Lets Drop Old Monitors

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Sun Jul 15 16:42:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, David Lang wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Bill Vance wrote:
>
>> Exactly what I'm saying.  Unfortunately, the only option the
>> user has right now, is more vs. a _lot_ more frustration.
>> The apps need a way for the user to make the adjustments, and
>> right now it just isn't there.  Screen size is a system
>> settings thing, but even that needs help.  On a fresh install
>> I need a _BIG_ magnifying glass to read the tiny, microscopic
>> text there.  It works eventually, but it's still a major
>> pain in the ass.  The fact that every last app needs adjusting,
>> and the adjustments are imperfect from one to another doesn't
>> help any.
>
> with kubuntu go to systems settings and then the font settings, there is a
> dpi
> setting there, tweak that until you have adjusted the size to what you want.

When the menu text looks right in one app, but looks like it's
too big to even be the banner across the top of the next app, the
appearance sucks.  That's just the menuing.  Tool bars, symbols,
data, and so on need the same help between one app and the next.

> If apps are hard-coding sizes, then your new proposed way to change sizes
> won't  work.

They will if they want to keep up with the latest greatest.

> Instead of asking for something new, encourage app developers to use an
> existing standard.

The point you're missing here, is that there is no current
working standard, and that a new standard is needed.

By the by, your flame war tactic of deleting my points, and
then continuing on, pretending they were never made, is not
appreciated.

Bill